Aga Khan University
Postdoctoral Fellow, Pathology and Laboratory
Entity: Medical College
The Aga Khan University was found in 1983 as Pakistan’s first private university, Aga Khan University is a not-for-profit institution and an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network. Starting in 2000, the University expanded to Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, United Kingdom and Afghanistan. AKU began life as a health-sciences university.
The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at The Aga Khan University is a unique/distinguish establishment which serves the clinical laboratory of Aga Khan University Hospital with academic interest. This department is heavily engaged in undergraduate, postgraduate and technologist training programs. It provides professional training for higher degree in four major areas of Pathology (Chemical Pathology, Hematology, Histopathology, and Microbiology). Currently, there are approximately 61 Faculty, including 3 part time, 2 visiting faculty members, and 41 Residents.
Aga Khan University invites applications for the position of Postdoctoral Fellow/Research Fellow Pathology & Laboratory Medicine. This study will aim to establish molecular surveillance through whole genome sequencing of Candida strains isolated at the Aga Khan University Laboratory and improve an understanding and initiate surveillance including through whole genome sequencing of AMR gram-negative bacteria in Pakistan.
You will be responsible to:
- assist senior faculty in conducting, managing and planning research project by determining theoretical aspects of problem & selecting methods of approach
- work with assigned faculty on specific research projects and contribute to writing of grants and research papers. Should have hands on experience running NGS assays with full confidence through the workflow. Should also be familiar with bioinformatics analysis tools
- conduct experiments, devise instrumentation & techniques to record & collect test results
- correlate data compiled in research & interpret the results
- develop new concepts, methods & techniques to solve scientific problems
- analyze theories & research findings to determine applications
- carry out literature survey, data searching & retrieval, utilizing a variety of techniques & technologies
- contribute directly to the development of a research strategy for on-going research projects
- compile information, data & practice exemplars for publications
- prepare qualitative & quantitative analysis of data
- prepare write-up of the results, manuscripts of paper & presentation
- enter experimental data in appropriate software & participate in data analysis
- keep & maintain research records
- assist in Grant writing & submission
- supervising research volunteers & medical students in research projects
- manage Inventory of reagents & consumables of the project
- any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
You should have:
- Ph.D. in applicable field or discipline
- good wet-lab experience using sequencing-based technologies, both Sanger sequencing and Next-generation sequencing for investigation of pathogen genetics
- familiarity with whole genome, exome, and RNA sequencing
- knowledge of appropriate laboratory and technical equipment
- demonstrate excellence in research via a strong publication record in related field
- ability to assess critical situations and give analytical solution
- knowledge of research in practical and/or basic sciences and scientific publications
- knowledge of computer applications
- excellent written and verbal communicator
- excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- attention to details and problem-solving skills.