Aga Khan University
Do you have a passion for advancing academic research related to brain health, promoting implementation science, and improving delivery of mental health care in low- and middle-income countries (South and Central Asia and East Africa)? Are you ready to join a dynamic global team seeking to understand the determinants of mental health and shape our responses to complex and mounting problems?
If so, the Aga Khan University is looking for an Associate Director of the Brain and Mind Institute (BMI), based in Karachi, Pakistan. This position offers an exciting career-building opportunity for an aspiring individual. The Associate Director reports to the BMI Director, and is part of a growing, dynamic global team.
The Brain & Mind Institute seeks to build capacity and provide leadership in the domains of brain health (mental health and neuroscience), across regions served by the Aga Khan University. A significant area of interest is the implementation of transdisciplinary science-based knowledge in non-clinical, community-based settings as well as programing in hospital and community settings that translate new discoveries into promotion, prevention and early mental health interventions.
Associate Director Roles:
- Provide leadership, supervision, mentoring, and strategic coordination of Institute staff based in Karachi
- Provide regular contributions to the Institute’s research programs and studies
- Advance an ambitious program of implementation science research and activities that expand access to care among vulnerable populations
- Leverage AKU’s capacities in basic and applied research to help fulfill the Institute’s vision and mission
- Along with the BMI Director, help oversee and advance the Institute’s research work, interventions, and implementation science in neuroscience and mental health across the Institute’s thematic areas of (1) research, (2) education, (3) innovation, and (4) engagement
- Manage the Pakistan BMI Hub’s work program, including oversight of budgets, reporting and team performance
- Develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders in the region, including AKU academics, governments, funders, researchers, service providers, and communities
- Oversee and ensure the quality of the work undertaken by the BMI
- Candidates must hold a terminal doctoral degree (Ph.D., and/or M.D. or equivalent) from an accredited institution
- At least 6 years of experience conducting and/or overseeing interdisciplinary research.
- Research experience in disciplines relevant to mental health and neurosciences.
- A demonstrated track record of academic/research productivity.
- Familiarity with Pakistan and the regions of South and Central Asia.
- Credentials and experience at the level of an Associate Professor or Professor.
- Understanding of key concepts of implementation science.
We are especially interested in qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and under-represented groups.
- Strong self-management skills, and ability to work independently
- Collaborative and supportive of teams and networks
- Ability to effectively coordinate and manage a variety of projects and programs simultaneously.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Proven interpersonal skills for interacting with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Analytical and conceptual skills essential for effective strategic thinking
- A creative thinker, and an appreciation of interdisciplinary research
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, personal statement that summarizes professional goals, and names and contact information for three professional referees, telephone number, e-mail address and copies of relevant academic certificates.
Your email application should bear the reference number ADP/BMI. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Information about the Aga Khan University is available at www.aku.edu.