At Careem we are led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve lives in the Middle East, North Africa and Pakistan. We’re pioneering the development of innovative services to aid the mobility of people, the mobility of things and the mobility of money.
We’re in the driving seat as we help to define how technology will shape progress in some of the fastest-growing countries in the world. Our teams are building tech to meet the needs of the future in areas including data and AI, e-commerce, technology-enabled logistics, maps, identity, and fintech.
We’re well placed to solve complex and meaningful challenges at scale, with deep tech expertise, strong regulatory relationships, a local presence, and increasingly specialised global teams which are structured to operate as autonomous start-ups. Our team of over 400 engineers and developers are empowered to develop cutting-edge technology every day.
Careem was established in July 2012, became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Uber Technologies, Inc. in January 2020, and today operates in over 100 cities across 12 countries.
We are looking for software engineers to join our team of talented engineers that share a
common interest in distributed backend systems, their scalability and continued
development. You will work alongside top talent for an accelerated learning path. You will
have access to some of the most exciting projects and advanced tech for accelerated
learning and exposure.
You will be responsible for automating the different workflows that our commercial and
country teams use to drive growth and adoption, balance marketplaces and drive
efficiencies in the way we operate. You will be building highly scalable distributed systems,
and continuously improve our engineering practices.
Our tech stack is Java, Micro-Service Architecture, SQL and no-SQL DBs, web front-
end and AWS infrastructure.
What You’ll Do
- Development of our distributed backend system to meet the challenging
functional, scalability and reliability requirements for our fast-growing business
- Maintain features and systems, with an emphasis on code quality,
maintainability, readability, and testing
- Facilitate collaboration with other engineers, product owners, and designers to
solve interesting and challenging problems across our platform
- Be a valued member of an autonomous, cross-functional agile team
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high quality code.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or other related technical field.
- 3+ years of experience in Object-oriented design, data-structures and algorithms.
- Ability to solve complex problems
- Must be able to write clean and maintainable code (must love coding!)
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions; deal with
loosely defined problems and fast changing requirements & think abstractly
- Passionate about learning new technologies and working on a product of massive
scale and impact
- Able to communicate effectively
- Attention to detail
Nice To Have
- Knowledge of AWS
- Knowledge of clean code principles
- Deep understanding of design patterns
- Demonstrated ability of test driven development
- Knowledge of descriptive statistics and probability theory
What we’ll provide youAs a Careem Colleague You Will Be Able To
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this.
- Be part of a Remote-First organisation
- Work from any country in the world for 60 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day